Thursday, August 23, 2012

Getting Married is Hard Work

While I was at the DMV today, changing my name on my car title and registration the lady that was helping me said, "Getting married is hard work."
I have to agree.
I thought the hard work was done when the wedding day was over but no no.
First there was the planning the wedding, saving for the wedding, paying for the wedding, sending invites and all the other tasks that go with getting married but now I have to change my last name and send out a million thank you notes (which I am still working on, so don't worry you will get one, it just might take a while. In the meantime, thank you for all the awesome gifts!)
Changing your last time is tedious and annoying, it gets even more annoying when companies like Comcast and T-Mobile want me to bring my marriage certificate into their offices to change my last name. All the guy at the bank needed was my new drivers license, two of my store credit cards didn't need anything I changed my name online and bam two weeks later new cards, Rocky Mountain Power let me change my name over the phone and all I had to do was send one email for all my work insurance, 401k and payroll stuff to get changed.
My list of things to do until the name change process is totally complete has gone from about 20 to 4 or 5 but it is still a big pain, and is still going to require at least one more trip to a government office that is only open from 9 to 5 on weekdays.
I had a friend say once that changing her name was enough to make her never want to get a divorce because she is never changing her name back and now having gone through the process I would agree completely. I mean, I really hope that through the years there will be many other and much much better reasons to not get a divorce but on the really bad days at least it is something.
I got all excited at one point and bought a group-on for this online name changing service thinking that if I gave them all my information they would do all the work for me, wrong. All it did was give me all the forms I needed to fill out, which has been useful, but not nearly as useful as I was hoping for.
It might be a few more weeks before I have completed the whole process but since my social security card and drivers license have been changed I guess I am legally and officially, Paige Marie Hoffman. All those years of perfecting my signature have gone out the window, guess I better start practicing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment