Tuesday, August 22, 2017

One for My Parents

Well hello again! It's been a while. I've composed lots of blog posts in my head since the last time, but I never actually wrote them. Oh well, maybe one day I'll get to them, but for today I want to dedicate this space to my parents.
I was at their house over the weekend and my little sister, who make fabulous wedding cakes, said something about crediting her success to my Mom and Dad always teaching us we could do whatever we wanted. I thought about it for a few minutes and decided she was right.
I can't remember a time when my Mom or Dad ever told me I couldn't do something. Except for the time I told my dad I was going to dunk a basketball, he shut that down pretty fast, but let's be real that was never going to happen. When I wanted to be a doctor, they supported me 100%. When I changed my mind and went into journalism instead they never said I was being silly or throwing away my potential. When I told my mom I wanted to run a marathon she didn't laugh at me, instead, she did it with me. When I decided I wanted to publish a book they never once doubted me, just supported me like they always have. It's because of them and their unwavering support that I've accomplished one of my biggest dreams of becoming an author.
I think my sisters and I are pretty lucky. We grew up being told, and in turn believing, we can do anything we want, anything we put our minds to, anything we are willing to work for. I know not everyone is lucky enough to have a support system like that. But there is more! We didn't just get the message to dream big, our parents also taught us that if you want something you have to work for it and nobody owes you anything. I heard the phrase, "Life's not fair," on a regular basis throughout my childhood and teenage years. And while at the time I thought my parents were just saying that to stop the whining of four little girls, I know now that it is true and am glad I learned that valuable lesson as a child. You don't win just by showing up, you won't be successful just because you want to or because that's what's fair, you are going to fail sometimes.
Thank you, Mom and Dad, for letting me fail so I could learn how to get back up and try again. Thank you for teaching me that hard work and a good attitude will get you a lot farther in life than talent alone. Thank you for always believing in me, even when I didn't believe in myself. Thank you for teaching me to dream big and never give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment