Monday, November 12, 2012

Football Can't End in a Tie

I have always discredited soccer as a "real" sport because it was the only game I knew of that could end in a tie (and because I grew up in a house in which soccer was mocked but that is another story for another day).
I have seen baseball games go into more extra innings than regular innings, a college basketball game then went into seven, yes seven, overtimes and the longest college football game ever also went into sever overtimes.
Even in gymnastics, figure skating and other sports in which judges decide the outcome their isn't ties, they have tie breakers to decide what happens when two people get the exact same score, so there is always a winner and always a loser.
Until now, soccer has been the only sport I know of where players, coaches and fans are okay with there not being a winner at the end of the game. But yesterday the football game between the Rams and 49ers ended in a 24-24 tie. I heard this on ESPN while I was cooking dinner but dismissed it as a mistake by announcer but nope that is actually what happened.
Apparently I haven't been paying much attention because this has happened before, most recently in 2008 but that is not the point!
The point is as a fan I expect there to be a clear winner and clear loser and I don't know care how many overtimes it takes to get there.
The NFL recently changed their overtime rules so unless the team who has the ball first scores a touchdown, the other team gets a chance to score, which eliminates the receiving team from simply getting in field goal range to win.
So in the case of the Rams vs. 49ers both teams got a chance to score and neither team did and so the game ends. Why not go into sudden death like teams did with the old overtime rules? Both teams got a chance, so the the next team that scores wins. Obviously the overtime in the NFL isn't perfect but ending in a tie seems like the worst possible solution.
I didn't watch the game on Sunday and I obviously wasn't there but ending in a tie just seems like a let down. If I was a player I would be pissed if I spent all that time getting hit over and over again for nothing really. 
And then you wonder what kind of implications the tie will have for the playoffs? How does a tie factor into a teams record? It all seems very confusing and unnecessary. 
This isn't soccer people, this is football and there needs to be a winner, whether it takes one or seven overtimes to get there. 
* I am making an addition to this post after having read another column that said even many of the players playing in the game on Sunday didn't know it could end in a tie. If the players on the field don't know the rules there is definitely a problem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment