Thursday, September 20, 2012

Judgement Day

Sometimes I feel like everyday is judgement day. I am being judged based on what I wear that day, the music I listen to, the things I post on facebook, the way I chose to get married, even the person I chose to marry and a million other seemingly insignificant choices and decisions I make every single day.
Why do we as human beings feel it necessary to judge other people every step of the way?
I read a column posted on a friends facebook page the yesterday about a guy who had chosen to wait until he got married to have sex and how he and his wife had done things the "right" way. He said that because they had waited and had an amazing wedding night that they were right and everyone else who gets married after sleeping with, living with or otherwise being intimate with their future partner was wrong. Yes that is the way he chose to do it based on his beliefs and values but just because my beliefs and values might be different doesn't mean I am wrong; different does not equal wrong.
I don't understand why there always has to be a right and a wrong. Not just in this instance but in everything. Why is it necessary to judge someone because of their lifestyle choices, just because what they chose to do is different from what you chose to do?
I feel like this is a lesson we all learned in elementary school and then forgot and now we need to learn again.
You never know what someone else's circumstances are and why they chose the things they did and if maybe you had been in their shoes you might have made the same choices and then you would be the one getting judged.
This goes hand in hand with the blog I posted last month about gay rights. Just because someone else's lifestyle choices and opinions differ from yours doesn't mean they are doing any harm to you. In some instances that is not the case, obviously when someone chooses to go on a shooting rampage or drive drunk that impacts other people but in most cases nothing about my day to day life has anything to do with another person's day to day life.
I feel like a good percentage of the issues of this campaign season would be non-issues if we stopped judging other people and thinking that because their opinion if different that they are wrong. The issues revolving around birth control, abortion and gay rights would be non-issues.
Let me live my life the way I want, without judgement or discrimination, and I will grant you the same courtesy.

No comments:

Post a Comment