Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Reality Check

I like to pretend sometimes that I am healthy. I like think that because I can (or could a few months ago) run 3 miles without walking, complete Ragnar and don't have high blood pressure that my weight is under control. It works most of the time until the real world decides to slap me in the face.
I got a letter in the mail today saying that our insurance is changing and those people who don't smoke and have a BMI of less than 30 will get a big discount on insurance, like a $840 discount. Since I don't smoke I will still get a $420 discount but because of my BMI my insurance will increase $420 a year, on top of the 11% it was already going to go up.
While I don't agree with BMI as the definition of a healthy person, because like I said I have a healthy blood pressure, I don't have high cholesterol and have very few weight related health problems at this point in my life, this is the method my insurance has chosen to employ and therefore according to them I will be classified as obese. Ouch. I have been working with a trainer over the past several months and have lost 20 pounds since the first of year but the reality is I am still more than 50 pounds from being in the BMI range I would need to be for my insurance not to go up. What's worse is they, for some unknown reason, are doing these health checks in October (why not December right before the new year?) meaning I have zero chance of getting anywhere near the healthy range before then.
It is really sobering and disappointing to realize how far out of control I let my weight get and to see now how much it really is going to cost me (not to mention all the extra clothes I've had to buy over the years and paying for a trainers to help me) and to know that it all could've been avoided if I had been a little more diligent in working out and had a little more self control when it comes to food.
Right now, I can honestly say I have never been more motivated to lose weight because it sucks to have to pay extra because of my weight. I hope this is a the push I need to finally really get my weight under control and keep it there because I want to get there but I have been lacking motivation the past couple weeks, or months maybe.
The good news is at some point in the year we will be able to do another health check and if our BMI is within the right range at that time we can get some of that extra money we paid back. I don't know when that is happening but that is my new goal to hit my target weight. I know it will be hard but in the end it will be worth it, not only in terms of money but also in terms of my overall health and well being.
Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. You can totally do it Paige!!! Sign up for another race, that always helps me find extra motivation. And I agree- BMI is not really the best way to tell if someone is healthy or not. But hopefully when they do the next health checks you'll kick it in the butt!

    ReplyDelete