Saturday, March 13, 2010

Weddings

You know that day when the first friend from your "group" of high school friends get married? That happened to me today. My good friend JaiCee got married earlier today and I have to admit it was a little strange for so many reasons. 1. I am older than her and kinda feel like as an older friend I should be able to give her advice about marriage (this will only happen in Utah where people get married ridiculously young and if you are still 22 and single there is something wrong with you). 2. It was weird to see her in a wedding dress, wrapped around her new husband as happy as can be. I am so so happy for her, don't get me wrong. But its weird to see someone you've spent countless hours in with- in sweatpants and team uniforms, on bus trips talking about how long it would be until we all get married, girl talking at each others houses until all hours of the night- in a wedding dress and all grown up. That brings to my next point, we are growing up. No more "slumber parties", no more single girl talk and unfortunately less time spent together in general. It means we are finally becoming adults and everyone knows that sometimes means drifting apart from the friends that we swore we would always be close with. It is kind of sad actually. We'll trade our girly ambitions in for adult responsibilities, crushes in for husbands and late night girl talk in for late night baby feedings. While there are still plenty of us left in the group that are single (or at least not married) this signals the beginning of a new chapter in our lives. And I can't help but think am I ready for that?

No comments:

Post a Comment