Friday, February 3, 2012

Excuses

If you recall I wrote a post by this same title a few weeks ago. No this is not the same post but it might be similar. Today I had the chance to listen to a mother/daughter pair who have been on the Biggest Loser and lost over 100 pounds each speak about their life change. It was interesting and fascinating. Yes they have gained some weight back but in 8 months since the show it hasn't been much. The mom still works out 2 hours a day but the daughter works out 5 times a week for about an hour a day. I can do that! But anyways the daughter said something that really struck me. She said "Every excuse is a choice to fail." I had never really thought about it that way. I had never really thought that every time I make an excuse why I can't go running (and there are many) I am choosing to once again fail. I am choosing to say, "Oh well, it doesn't really matter." Most people I know, including myself don't like failure so why would anyone choose to fail?!! The daughter also addressed that. She said because failure is easy. It is easy to sit on the couch and eat ice cream. It is easy to sleep in on Saturday morning. It is easy to reach for a bigger pair of pants in the closet. But anything worth doing is hard!! Running a marathon has literally been the hardest thing I have ever done but it was so worth it! The feeling I had when I crossed that finish line was incredible but because now I have a new goal and it is easier to watch TV than to go running that is what I do. I don't want to choose to fail anymore, I don't want to take the easy way out because I have done that time and time again and it always leaves me feeling crappy. It is going to be hard? Yes. Is it going to be scary? Yes. Am I going to want to give up? Yes. Will I give up? I can't answer that question right now, but I hope the answer will be no because every excuse is just another choice to fail. And I am done failing.

No comments:

Post a Comment