Wednesday, February 15, 2012

What are people thinking?

Working in the news business I am exposed to some of the ridiculous ideas people have to bills that should be passed. I have found that in Utah the number of ridiculous bills outweigh the number of bills that will solve a legitimate problem.
For example, I am working on a story about a new sex education bill that would make the core curriculum for sex education in Utah abstinence based (which is nothing new) with an emphasis on the idea that not having sex until marriage and staying faithful after marriage is the ONLY way to prevent STDs.
I get that only have sex with one person and knowing that person doesn't have an STD will keep you from getting one but what does marriage have to do with it? If I only have sex with one person for my whole life but never get married I am still not going to get an STD. Marriage is not a risk factor here!
Utah is insistent on teaching abstinence only sex ed, which to me is crazy! Fine teach that abstinence is the best way to prevent pregnancy and STDS because let's be real it is but teenagers are going to have sex regardless of what teachers say so why not arm them with the knowledge to protect themselves, rather than having teen moms running around with 4 kids.
The legislature is full of old, white LDS men that don't realize times have changed since they grew up. Things are different and the laws that govern this state shouldn't be based solely on the values of one religion regardless of whether it is the dominant religion or not. I could go on all day about this but I won't. It just seems so silly to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment